I have a new lens! It’s a Canon 40mm f/2.8 lens – a pancake lens (I always feel hungry when I hear the P word). I haven’t had a chance to take any ‘serious’ shots with it yet but I have snapped enough to get a feel for it and know that… I love it!
1. It’s teeny-weeny. Yes, this means that on the behemoth Canon 5D MkII it looks a bit out of place (like one of those cats with a squashed-up face), however it also means it’s a lot easier to sling in my bag and take everywhere I go, and we all know it’s the camera you have with you that’s the best camera in the world.
2. The depth of field is superb. I wasn’t expecting much from f/2.8 but for whatever reason it feels much wider than that and it makes the things in focus look very ‘3Dish’ (can you tell I’m not a technical reviewer), a bit like using a ground-glass focussing screen on a TLR.
3. The 5D MkII is a bit notorious for being rubbish at focusing, with this lens though it seems a lot more responsive and my ‘hit rate’ is way up compared to my other lenses.
4. The price is very nice; just over £100 (I got mine from DigitalRev in Hong Kong). I know a hundred squids is a lot of money in these hard times but when it comes to camera lenses that’s a huge bargain and in my opinion it’s as good as lenses 10 times that price.
5. If you use your camera to shoot video or for spying purposes you’ll be delighted to know that this lens is silent when focusing.
6. I’ve already said it but I can’t over-emphasise how fabulous the smallness of this lens is. I take my camera out much more often now thanks to this little beauty!
I just need it to stop raining for 5 minutes so I can get out there and use it some more. What’s your favourite lens? This one is definitely my new fave!